The S.T. Yau High School Science Award (Asia) [ YHSA(Asia) ] is a research-based competition emphasising innovation, originality, creativity and persistence in research activities. It encourages students and teachers to formulate issues with quantitative precision and scientific rationales, with a view to nurturing students’ passion for scientific discovery, patience in the investigation, and rigour in deliberation. YHSA(Asia) is initiated by Professor Shing-Tung Yau with the following goals:
In 2019-2021, a total of 541 teams from over 25 countries and regions joined YHSA(Asia), in which 28 teams were recommended to compete with other regional finalists in the YHSA Finale in Beijing and obtained excellent results. Students have gained invaluable learning and rewarding experiences from the Award competition.
Recently, the 2020 Gold Prize awardee in Mathematics has been accepted as a highly competitive 2021 Research Science Institute (RSI) programme collaboratively sponsored by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
The Departments of Economics and Mathematics of The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) have recognised YHSA(Asia) as an exceptional achievement that merits admission to their respective undergraduate programmes.
Very positive feedback on YHSA(Asia) has been received from the Faculty of Science of The University of Hong Kong and Department of Computer Science of City University of Hong Kong.
Serendipity in life is often the origin of scientific inventions. If you know how to grasp them, you may be able to change the world and benefit mankind.
The Hong Kong Academy of Sciences (ASHK) will hold an online Science Talk: Serendipity in Science on November 26, as the flagship event of the S.T. Yau High School Science Award (Asia) (YHSA(Asia)) 2022. ASHK has invited two world-renowned scientists, who were recently awarded the international science prizes, to share their discoveries made by serendipity in life and how they translated them into helping the world in their scientific researches. They are the 2022 Lasker~DeBakey Clinical Medical Research awardee and Molecular Biologist, Professor Yuk-Ming Dennis LO, and the 2022 Future Science Prize in Mathematics and Computer Science awardee and Mathematician Professor Ngaiming MOK.
In addition, students Bock Man CHEUNG and Hiu Long CHAN of the Baptist Lui Ming Choi Secondary School, one of the YHSA(Asia) 2022 Mathematics team, will also share their competition experiences in the Talk.
Details are as below:
YHSA(Asia) 2022 – Science Talk: Serendipity in Science
Date: 26 November 2022 (Saturday)
Time: 11:00 am – 12:30 pm (HK Time)
Zoom ID: 872 2526 0341
Zoom Password: YHSA
- Prof. Yuk-Ming Dennis LO, Director, LKS Institute of Health Sciences, LKS Professor of Medicine and Chemical Pathology, CUHK
- Prof. Ngaiming MOK, E&P Tse Professor in Mathematics, Chair of Mathematics, HKU
- Mr Bock Man CHEUNG, 2022 YHSA(Asia) Mathematics Gold Winning Team, Baptist Lui Ming Choi Secondary School
- Mr Hiu Long CHAN, 2022 YHSA(Asia) Mathematics Gold Winning Team, Baptist Lui Ming Choi Secondary School
- Prof. Dong SUN, Secretary for Innovation, Technology and Industry
- Prof. Shing-Tung YAU, Founder, S.T. Yau High School Science Award
- Prof. Henry N C WONG. Regional Director, S.T. Yau High School Science Award (Asia)
- Moderator: Dr. Stephanie MA, Vice President, The Hong Kong Young Academy of Sciences
Copyright © 2022 The Hong Kong Academy of Sciences - All Rights Reserved
Powered by GoDaddy Website Builder